What is Angelite?
9 Interesting Facts About Angelite1. Angelite is a blue coloured stone that's mainly used for its healing properties.
2. Angelite is a trade name for the mineral anhydrite. Anhydrite which is a rock-forming mineral is a type of calcium sulphate.
3. Only blue material mined in Peru is permitted to use the trade name angelite. Other colours and stone mined elsewhere is known simply as anhydrite.
4. Anhydrite comes from the Greek word 'anhydros' meaning 'waterless'. The name came about because the mineral has no water in its crystal structure.
5. Angelite must be stored somewhere cool and dry. With exposure to moisture it will slowly turn into gypsum.
6. Angelite is a soft stone that scratches very easily.
7. The trade name 'angelite' came about because when used for its healing properties it's associated with the angelic realm.
8. The subtle blue colour of angelite is believed to come from impurities of iron.
9. Blue anhydrite has been found in ancient Egyptian tombs but it's not known if it was mined there or arrived along ancient trade routes.